As you can see there were a lot of changes made from when I first started modelling my character. It was slow progress at first but as I became more familiar with the software things started to become second nature. By the end of it I had a model I was proud of. My model is by no means perfect however and it could’ve been better had I been able to spend longer developing it and learning the software. A few of the main issues I ran into were in creating the teeth, mouth cavity and clothes
The mouth cavity was an issue for a long time which was annoying as it would just fill it back in when I remeshed the model. This meant that I kept having to remodel the mouth after every remesh. This was time consuming and frustrating, but I eventually fixed it using a separate polygroup to force it to stay put. This fix saved me time as the project went further on as I didn’t really have to touch the cavity again as such.
The next thing I did was model the teeth, this took a lot of time as it was tedious placing cubes and shaping them with smooth tools and plane tools. It seemed like a bit of a waste of time for something you don’t really see but it added that bit of extra detail to the mesh so I ended up making them. This was no where near as complicated as making the clothes were though.
Clothes caused me lots of issues during the modelling process as they needed to be virtually identical to the mesh in order to deform well in Maya. This meant spending time extruding and inflating each element of a duplicated mesh to form each item of clothing. I used a few methods in order to create each element of the clothes. I started by duplicating the character mesh and then deleting loops of polys row by row until I got the shape I wanted. Once this part was done, I would then start inflating the mesh in each area so it sat outside of the skin mesh. I needed to make sure no parts overlapped or this would ruin the deformation in Maya. I would then go on to extrude the clothes to give them thickness and make them look more like clothes. This worked fine for the trousers however it caused lots of problems with the shirt as it would regularly crash ZBrush for some reason.
The issue set me back some time as I had to model the Shirt from scratch. However, this ended up being a positive as I was able to add flourishes to the shirt such as a collar and buttons. This made the model look a lot better as a whole and really tied the entire thing together. I am happy that I went through that process as it pushed me to create something better than what I had already.
After all this I was finally finished working in ZBrush and had to cross the bridge of moving everything into Maya. This is a complicated thing to do since they use different modelling techniques and handle files differently
I ended up using the subtool master within ZBrush to export each element of my mesh as a separate component. This worked well and I ended up with a .obj file for each element. This only worked because I modelled each element on a different subtool. Doing this helped me as it meant I could change something without having to change the entire model. Once exported I took it straight into Maya and reassembled all the pieces to form my character. I did a quick test rig and was delighted when everything worked properly after a few attempts. However, none of the placeholder textures came over from ZBrush due to them being incompatible so the next step was to texture my character.